Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing

DMD Computer Service

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Using Thumb Drive/Flash Drive as RAM > Instructions step by step

Pegasus
Administrator
  1. Insert your flash drive into a USB port. If you have auto play enabled, there should be an option in the menu that appears that says, "Speed Up My System" that will allow you to enable ReadyBoost and skip to the final step (step 6).
  2. Open the My Computer tab.
  3. Find the drive letter that your flash drive is occupying. Your computer will automatically assign the next available letter in the list when you plug it in. If you have one hard drive, and two disc drives, this means that your next drive letter is F. However, if you have multiple drives (hard drives, disk drives, removable disk drives, etc), or partitions, the letter will be further down the list.
  4. Right click the drive letter, and choose properties.
  5. Look for the ReadyBoost Tab, and select it.
  6. Look for the option to enable the flash drive as RAM, and allocate the amount of space on the drive you wish to use as RAM. Remember, most systems (even newer ones) max out at 4GB RAM. So if you have a drive larger than that, or 2GB RAM already, you need to remember this limitation so as to prevent damage to your system.
December 6, 2009 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

5gt5mith

the 4 gig limit is for 32 bit systems,on 64 bit systems it caps out around 1000 i believe....anyway if you have a laptop and dont know how to open it up and put it back together or if its the same with a desktop just buy a 2 gig usb stick get a nicer one i recomend then sticking it in and configuring note:this is for vista and win7 users only,i run xp still on this computer but do stuff on vista ones anyway enjoy your cheap RAM

--

A day in the Corp is like a day on the farm;every meal a banquet,every paycheck a fortune,every formation a parade! I love the Corp!,

May 31, 2010 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pegasus
Administrator

5gt5mith at May 31, 2010 at 12:22 PM

the 4 gig limit is for 32 bit systems,on 64 bit systems it caps out around 1000 i believe....anyway if you have a laptop and dont know how to open it up and put it back together or if its the same with a desktop just buy a 2 gig usb stick get a nicer one i recomend then sticking it in and configuring note:this is for vista and win7 users only,i run xp still on this computer but do stuff on vista ones anyway enjoy your cheap RAM

you're pretty smart being a youngbuck..:lol:

June 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

5gt5mith

meh

--

A day in the Corp is like a day on the farm;every meal a banquet,every paycheck a fortune,every formation a parade! I love the Corp!,

June 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

5gt5mith

also i forgot.you may have a 1000 gigs of ram but after so many ur system cannot utilize them genrally that happens at about 8-10 gigs so dont buy memory that you dont need

--

June 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SnH fire holt

I would like to have some more information on this topic

1. Can this work if you have a card reader built in to your

computer and using a SD memory card  in place of the flash thumb drive and what amount is good start with?

--

Windows 7 64 home

6GB RAM

1X80 GB SSD -+ ACME BRAND X 465 GB Jk

X2 DiscBurners

October 1, 2010 at 4:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.