Double-click to start typing
Double-click to start typing

DMD Computer Service

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Newegg customers get fake Core i7 CPUs

Pegasus
Administrator

Ordered a Core i7-920 from Newegg recently? Then take a good, hard look before starting to build your new system. TechPowerUp reports that a number of customers have complained about receiving seemingly counterfeit Intel processor boxes.

Judging from images posted on the Overclockers.com forums, the packages looks genuine from the outside. However, the "processor" is actually a piece of metal with a real-looking heat spreader, and the "cooler" looks like a solid piece of plastic with a sticker of a real Intel heatsink and fan on top. The manual, meanwhile, is nothing but a few sheets of paper held together with a single staple.

For a closer look, one of the unlucky customers shot a video of the box's contents.

Newegg posted on its Twitter feed to address the problem, and here's what it had to say, with the messages in order from oldest to newest and the breaks removed:

Newegg is aware of a shipping error that occurred with certain recent orders of the Intel Core i7-920 CPU. After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units. Our customer service team has already begun proactively reaching out to the affected customers. In line with our commitment to ensure total customer satisfaction, we are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue as soon as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers.

As TechPowerUp points out, the statement doesn't clarify the purpose of the demo boxes or why a number of them slipped into stocks of real boxed processors. Affected customers can hopefully expect a message from Newegg, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54tDqM5-6RU&feature=player_embedded

March 9, 2010 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SnH fire holt

Something like this happed to just a few months back with amazon.com it was a Xbox 360 receiver the the wireless controller after countless hours of installing and reinstalling driver for Microsoft .com,  so after talking to nice lady who asked me it Microsoft certified  I come to fine it is a cheep chines imitation  bye bye $44.00 dollars.. lesson learned.

--

Windows 7 64 home

6GB RAM

1X80 GB SSD -+ ACME BRAND X 465 GB Jk

X2 DiscBurners

March 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David
Site Owner

--

GIGABYTE-GA-X99-UD4 i7-5820K 3.30GHz, G.Skill 16gb DDR4 2133 Quad, HIS R9 290X IceQ X2 4GB, COOLER MASTER HAF 932, In-Win Glacier 900W, 2-240gb SSD Set in array, Win7 Ult-64bit, / M2 SSD 128gb, Win 10 64bit, 39" LED TV

March 9, 2018 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.